Monday, February 6, 2012

My Father

This past weekend I was at home to visit my parents. It was so great seeing them and spending time with them like the old days. It was like I was a child waiting for lunch and going shopping with my parents whom was driving, instead of me. It was nice being with them and listening to them talk while I'm in the back seat.

Now it's the other way around, it's me driving and my parents in the back being quiet or falling asleep on most days.

There was a lot said this past weekend in terms of growing up, being mature, and making something out of myself.

My parents put a lot of responsibility on me because I am in their eyes, reliable and not tied down. I feel that I am in most cases. And in this case I think they are right in keeping their hopes up in me to carry on.

I won't go into too many details but my parents were speaking to me as an adult for the first time. I mean, they have before but it wasn't anything like this. This was like I was the head of the house or like I am a very important person, they were speaking formally. They were treating me like an adult with parental discretion or something. I don't really know how to explain it, but it was definitely different than all the other times. I guess it's because of the responsibilities that I have taken and gained.

Anyway, what I wanted to mention was something my mom said about my dad that made me think and think and think. I could not believe that I did not think of this before, how stupid I was and how I still have time!

My mom said, "Why is it that your father's children do not listen to him when all of society listens to him! All of your aunts, uncles, and relatives ask for your father's advice, they seek his guidance, and his own children do not listen or seek his advice. Why is that?"

My father is someone who is really respected in our community. And I love that, but at times I feel like he does too much for them and not enough for us. That is one of the many things that Hmong people have a conflict with (but I will save that for another day). He is someone who all our relatives seek for advice, they wait for his arrival to make a decision, he is so important in their lives, and yet my siblings and I don't see that, we don't respect that.

It made me think to myself, I have time to listen, I still have time to seek his advice and his guidance. He has a lot of wisdom but no listeners. I definitely want to ask him about the Vietnam War, what he did and which areas did he fight in. I want to hear about his stories, his life changing moments, and what he thinks about life in America. I want to know so much but I feel I don't have the time.

If I really want to know all of these things, I will have to make it happen! I will be graduating soon, so I will definitely make time!

No comments:

Post a Comment