Monday, July 19, 2010

What You Eat Everyday is Not What We Eat Everyday

I had just come back from lunch and the ladies that I work with at the front desk asked me what I had for lunch. I told them I had rice with chicken and pepper. They wanted to know if I always ate rice because N (that's what I'll call her) didn't like eating rice at all (only in one dish that her mom made). Of course, I eat it all day long and everyday!!! It is plain and doesn't have a lot of taste, but we're used to it. I think that we eat a lot of rice because we don't have a lot of other stuff in our fridge. So to stuff ourselves with rice and only eat a little meat would make us full already (at least that's how I eat, because I want others to be able to have some meat on their plates too) I'm so used to doing this that I do it all the time. I know that a lot of rice in your diet isn't too good, but that's how we eat and I love it!! So, I'm not going to change it because I'm happy with the way it is.

Anyways, back to the ladies, so S and N wanted to know what we usually eat on a day to day basis, I told them we eat more veggies with everything, like stir fry, boiled veggies with meat. So it was funny because the ladies said stir fry is something that they go out to eat and get, and I said that's funny because we go out to eat American food, which is what they usually eat at home. I never really thought about that.

Then we started talking about what my parents like to eat because they are more traditional than us (children), they like to eat Hmong food more than American food. They like to eat/drink at every meal something that is boiled in water with a vegetable so they can just drink the water and eat the veggie with their meal (it substitutes for a glass of water or something to drink while eating). Every once in a while we'll make spaghetti or Alfredo or steak for my parents as a meal, but even then we eat rice.

When our family has a celebration, depending on what it is for we cook accordingly, sometimes there will be Hmong food and American food, sometimes only American food with rice on the side.

Talking about food the the ladies up front was really interesting because I can't picture what Caucasians eat everyday as a meal, and I'm sure they can't picture what I eat everyday as a meal either. Even with them telling me, I'm still unsure of what they eat, there are only certain things that I can think of to have as a meal, but what do I know since I'm not Caucasian so of course I wouldn't know. It's very interesting, I don't know if I would like eating American food all the time, and I'm sure Caucasians wouldn't like eating Hmong food all the time either, lol!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment