Monday, February 21, 2011

Racism

Waking up you never are prepared for what happens in the day. Being here in New Zealand just about everyone thinks I'm Chinese. The Chinese think I'm Chinese, the Caucasians think I'm Chinese, everyone does.

I hate racism, it's a touchy topic, and it can go on forever, it hurts. It sticks with you forever.

Today I experienced racism towards me, whether they knew it or not, they acted upon it. I am a victim of another racist act, as I was before long ago. No matter how big or little the act was, it happened.

Did I cry? Of course I did, why did that Caucasian do it? Who is he to make fun of me and my friend, is he smarter, superior? Why am I crying because I am different? What do I do now? Did I report it? Yes I did, what will happen? I have no clue, all I know is that this is the beginning of a new chapter, I am NOT going to keep quiet. I want to be LOUD AND LET THEM KNOW THAT IT IS NOT OK!!!!!

History will not repeat itself, all the racism that once was should be gone, will it ever? Of course not, but one step at a time and we will be there. Martin Luther King Jr. would be sad if he saw us today, but proud that we have gotten this far. I want to make a change, that is why I reported this racist act, I want to be heard. I am stronger than this and I am not alone. They will have to listen to what I have to say, I am not going anywhere.

I HATE RACISM!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Exactly. My husband is Taiwanese; he is not Chinese. My husband may be of Chinese decent but he does not carry a China passport. My husband has never been to China. I don't undersetand the whole concept "Oh since you're asian - you must be Chinese."

    People look at me and get me all wrong. Hee! I had somebody say to me, "You look so German! You're very German!"
    I have to tell them that I have no German heritage whatsoever. =/ Awkward.

    People get even more confused when I get very dark in the summertime. (innocent face) They don't know what's in my genes.

    I'm dreadfully sorry for what you're going through. There are people out there who are truly ignorant. And you should be loud. This should never be tolerated. EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I am glad that there are others who understand me and are against racism!
    I am sorry that people act that way towards you and your husband. I know that I too have been judgmental towards others in thinking they are a certain race.
    After I reported this, the office that I wrote to apologized and said they would try to make sure the campus watch would watch out for these types of things, and I hope it doesn't happen again because I would be even more devastated.
    My friend who was there with me that night, she has been having problems with her neighbors and really fed up with the racism and the drinking, so she reported it too. I'm not sure what they said to her though, but probably the same thing.
    I wish there was more that they could do or did, but the excuse they used for the childish, immature, racist person was that they were under the influence of alcohol.

    ReplyDelete